University of Helsinki - department of Ophthalmology
Number of yearly operations:
Number of employees: unknown
The Department of Ophthalmology, University of Helsinki, is located in the Helsinki University Eye Hospital in the Meilahti campus of the Helsinki University Central Hospital. Physically, the Eye Hospital is eight storeys high and additionally houses two underground floors. The premises in its present location were founded in 1951 and are about to undergo a comprehensive refurbishment starting in 2007. Helsinki University Eye Hospital is by far the biggest eye department in Finland.
The department traces its history back to 1871 when the chair of ophthalmology was founded in the University of Helsinki. The present location is the fourth one for the eye clinic during the 135 years of its existence.
Helsinki University Eye Hospital mainly operates on a day-case surgery basis. The hospital has five wards, of which one ward is open 24 hours a day and seven days a week. In addition, there are about 20 special outpatient clinics (e.g. medical retina, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, ocular allergy, ocular oncology, cornea, refractive surgery, glaucoma, strabismus, oculoplastics etc.). The hospital serves a population of about 1.5 million and is the tertiary care referral center for complicated cases from the whole of Finland, including the four other University Eye Hospitals.