The Association of Southeast Asian Nations
The Association of Eye Hospitals (AAEH) in Southeast Asia is a non-profit organisation set up by five dedicated Eye-Hospitals within ASEAN*, namely:
- The Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC)
- American Eye Hospital, Philippines (AEH)
- The Jakarta Eye Centre, Indonesia (JEC)
- Rutnin Eye Hospital, Thailand (REH)
- The Tun Hussein Onn National Eye Hospital, Malaysia (THONEH)
* ASEAN is the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, established in 1967 in Bangkok by the five original member countries: Indonesia, Malaysia , Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. Brunei Darussalam joined in 1984, Vietnam in 1995, Laos and Myanmar in 1997 an Cambodia in 1999.
The ASEAN Declaration states that the aims and purposes of the Association are:
- To accelerate the economic growth, social progress and cultural development in the region through joint endeavours in the spirit of equality and partnership in order to strengthen the foundation for a prosperous and peaceful community of Southeast Asian nations.
- To promote regional peace and stability through abiding respect for justice and the rule of law in the relationship among countries in the region and adherence to the principles of the United nations Charter.
Objectives of the AAEH members
The hospitals within the AAEH have the objectives:
- to promote cooperation among the various Eye Centers
- to promote Joint Research Projects among the various Eye Centers
- To facilitate exchange of faculty members of the various Eye Centers
- To provide for visiting fellows in various sub-specialties
- To provide reciprocal recognitions of training programme among the various Eye Centers
- To organize Joint Meetings on a rotational basis
- To help each other in various Cataract Projects, wich are done to clear the Cataract backlog, under the Prevention of Blindness.
Which hospitals are members of the AAEH?
The Tun Hussein Onn National Eye Hospital, Malaysia
Rutnin Eye Hospital Thailand
The Jakarta Eye Centre Indonesia
American Eye Hospital, Phillipines
Singapore National Eye Centre
Takeo Eye Hospital, Takeo, Cambodia
Cicendo Eye Hospital, Bandung, Indonesia
Thongpong Eye Treatement Hospital, Ban Thongpong, Laos
Kedia Eye Hospital, Birgunj, Myanmar
Calamba Eye Centre, Laguna, Phillipines
Ho-Chi-Minh-City Eye Hospital, Ho Chin Minh City, Vietnam